Re: proposals for new XML

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: proposals for new XML
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 23:58:10 GMT

Hi Patrice,

    1. Some things that break compatibility

Sure, we've already given up on XML compatibility on the theory that the
new form will be more useful.

    but seems not questionable to me:

I agree with that (section 1).

    Have only <image> and no <inlineimage>.

Doesn't that make it harder, if not impossible, for the XML-processor to
figure out how to output the image, something you already know (don't
you?)?  How about <image where="inline"> or something?

    Use <pre> for preformatted portions of text, and use the
    xml:space="preserve" on <pre>, for example

There are no special rules about <pre> that would get in the way?  E.g.,
that it can't contain other environments?  I believe there are in HTML
.. that is, I seem to recall HTML documents not validating because of
stuff inside <pre>.

    rename, for @itemize the argument <itemfunction> -> <itemprepend>

See below.

    rename <title> for sectioning @-commands as <sectiontitle>
    let @settitle and @title -> <settitle> and <title>

Ok, those seem logical.

    For @itemize, add a <prepend> element, so for example

Looks sensible to me in general.

    <itemize commandarg="&minus;"><itemprepend>&minus;</itemprepend>

So we're specifying the arg to @itemize as both an attribute and an
element?  Why?

Is there a reason to use an element instead of an attribute?
Somehow it seems more conventional to use an attribute here.  But
whatever.

    For table I propose an element called itemformat with the command in
    attribute. For example

Ok in general.

    <tableitem><tableterm command="item"> ...

Why <tableitem><tableterm command="item"> here,
but simply <item> for @itemize?

And, when @itemx is used, where does the x show up in these cases?
Just trying to understand ...

Thanks,