texi2html

[Texi2html] merge of texi2html in texinfo

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: [Texi2html] merge of texi2html in texinfo
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:40:50 +0100

Hello,

texi2html is basically ready to be merged in texinfo. The last modification I
did in order to be able to have texi2html either standalone or in texinfo are
not very clean, mostly due to the fact that the gettext stuff is not very
ready for being at any place in a source directory -- while pure automake
based stuff allows to move around the directory if one takes care to use
relative or absolute directory as should be.

Normally the last license transferts (for the translations) should be
worked out soon.

Karl, I attach a diff for texinfo. I did some testings, and as far as I
can tell this is the only changes needed for inclusion in texinfo. There
will certainly be some adjustments of the gettext framework afterwards,
for instance it is not clear to me which catalogs should be installed
in texinfo, in standalone texi2html and with what name.

Remaining issues
----------------

I think that it would be better to synchronize the release number of
texi2html with the texinfo release number. If there are needs to do
independent releases of texi2html then an extra digit could be added.
This would lead to a bump to version 5.0, the next texinfo version.

The documentation of texi2html is out of date, but I'd like to reorganize
it after the merge and certainly split the bits that are relevant in
texinfo and texi2html and the bits that are only relevant in texi2html,
and, in parallel, the texinfo manual would certainly need to be updated.

I also would like to get rid of check_texinfo.pl. Anybody would miss it?
Doing what it does as an init file may be interesting and could be correct,
but not that useful.

There is a decision to be taken regarding where the read-write and where
the read-only cvs repositories should be. Karl proposed to have the
read-write repo in texinfo considering that texi2html will officially be
part of texinfo, it also seems to me to be the best solution.

Also there is a consensus to be reached regarding the default license of
texi2html. I think that having GPLv3+ headers with FSF as a copyright holder
could be the default headers, but when doing a make dist as texi2html
the former headers would be substituted using a script I am volunteering
to do.

Is everybody (especially Derek) happy with these proposals?

Are there issues/incompatibilities that you know about and think that
they should be fixed before the merge?

As a side note I would like to have a last standalone texi2html release
after the merge and after documentation has been updated (and I think that
it could be the last release of an independent texi2html).

--
Pat