taler

Re: [Taler] Exchange Terms of Service

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Exchange Terms of Service
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 12:49:56 +0100

On 1/8/23 12:13, marc@taler.net wrote:

On 08.01.2023, at 10:07, Christian Grothoff <grothoff@gnunet.org> wrote:
On 1/7/23 20:17, Florian Jung via Taler wrote:

On my Android, an almost pristine wallet with no coins but that has seen an
exchange takes 200kb of data, while a wallet that was in use for four days
takes 650kB.
Ok, that seems way more reasonable, of course depending on the 'use'.

I really don't think that storing some 100kB of ToS does any bad here.
For how long? For how many exchanges? In which languages? In which file formats? And
ultimately: why? I'm not sure "because I want to study ToS while offline" is
truly a plausible thing. Especially since of course the wallet can choose to _cache_ this
information.

Have a “Share” button where users can export the ToS to wherever they like.
Then users who want to keep the ToS can do so.

Sure. In fact, we already discussed somewhere that there should be a "print" option that downloads the PDF and exports that to the printer, and similarly there could be an "open in browser" for the HTML version or a 'save' button to save to local storage. That's all UI-level stuff, which wallet UIs can do if desired and reasonable on that platform.

But I'd not require it to _store_ it (in the sense of guaranteed persistence
and inclusion in backups).

ACK. Even though in iOS that is quite easy - 3 lines of code safes the file in
app-data where Apple’s backup routines take care of all. No need for us to
re-write that code, it already “just works”...

There's nothing wrong if Apps on the UI-level do that using OS-facilities where appropriate. I just don't think we should persist ToS data (except the ETag) in *wallet-core* or sync it via the taler-sync backup facility.