taler

Re: [Taler] [CFRG] RSA blind signatures

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [Taler] [CFRG] RSA blind signatures
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 09:49:20 +0100

As a rule, there are relatively few keys in an RSA blind signature deployment,
so you could batch verify all messages with the same public key.  I suppose
someone who knows the secret p and q might construct FDH with interesting
summations, ala https://eprint.iacr.org/2020/945  I’d expect some common RSA
assumption forbids this for anyone who does not know the secret key though, so
RSA batch verification should turn out secure.

I think RSA batch verification does not improve performance for one spend
operation *if* your public keys represent denominations in powers of two, but
batch verification does help RSA if you’ve less dense denominations.  In this
setting, an RSA blind signature would likely be checked twice, first at a
merchant, and second at the exchange/bank/mint.  I suppose exchanges could
quickly return “no double spend” to merchants, and then aggregate RSA
verification across thousands of spends.

You'll never benefit from common message aggregation for BLS blind signatures,
so every denomination requires another 1500 microsecond Miller loop, which
sounds slower than RSA, no?

Jeff