taler

Re: [Taler] How about a Non-anonymous Taler?

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: [Taler] How about a Non-anonymous Taler?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 22:00:09 +0100

Thank you for explaining.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 11:20:14AM +0100, Bruno Haible wrote:
> Florian Pelz wrote:
> > Taler is anonymous, so the exchange cannot make money from
> > selling data to credit bureaus (Schufa etc.).
> Yes. That is the main feature that distinguishes Taler from other digital
> payment systems.

This is ironic considering that the exchange would be called a
Kreditinstitut in German but it cannot buy/sell/use credit data with
Taler.

Also, in Germany, to get a banking license, someone interested in
setting up a Taler exchange would need to have worked at a regular,
don’t-care-about-privacy bank before, I think, would they not?

> > For more adoption, would it therefore make sense to have the Taler
> > payment protocol support less expensive non-anonymous payments as
> > well?
> That would dilute the purpose of GNU Taler.
>
> Bruno

It would have been nice if there were universally usable payment
software for merchants and customers.

Regards,
Florian