taler

Re: [Taler] (docs) installation

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [Taler] (docs) installation
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 15:56:39 -0500

() Christian Grothoff <grothoff@gnunet.org>
() Wed, 2 Dec 2020 16:09:00 +0100

   > (a) What is the minimum required version for Taler Exchange?

   The general answer is:

   For any Taler a.b.c-component, the dependencies are on (at
   least) the respective a.b.*-versions. So merchant-0.8.4
   generally should be OK with all exchange-0.8.*-versions. That
   said, there can be specific instances where this is not the
   case (that should be specified in the release-notes in this
   case).

   Note that there is _also_ the protocol versioning, which
   works differently. Here, the version syntax is 8:4:0 and
   follows GNU libtool (current:revision:age).

   [url]

   In practice, it is a bit MORE crazy, as our update procedure
   for the protocol versioning can be a bit more involved. I
   think it is already discussed somewhere, maybe in Florian's
   thesis? Don't recall.

OK.  I'll document 0.8.0 as the minimum then.  However...

   > (d) I'd like to link to the info-gnu mailing list when
   > talking about "release announcement".  That seems to be the
   > general place, but if there is a better one, please let me
   > know.

   We generally post about releases in the 'news' section on
   Taler.net (which also has an RSS feed), and on this list.  So
   far, we only posted 'major' releases on info-gnu.  We could
   change that.

... it seems that the News section does not mention 0.8.0 (or
0.8.1) -- tags for which i see in the exchange.git repo, and
tarballs in the download directories.  I suggest we post an
announcement on 0.8.1 at least, to "drive eyeballs", like they
say (ugh -- webspeak :-D).

There's no reason we can't post in both places, w/ one pointing
to the other.

For the docs, i'll stick w/ info-gnu for now since that is more
well-known, and is in fact intended as the clearing-house for
all GNU software.  Using it promotes cohesion w/in GNU.

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2020) Software Libero