taler

Re: [Taler] Taler with multiple currencies

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [Taler] Taler with multiple currencies
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 16:39:03 +0200

On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 15:48 +0530, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:

>     I'm investigating an application where I put money into an account
> in one currency but spend it in another.

There are several ways to do this :

(1) Use Taler as it exists today with cross currency SEPA transfers.  I
know nothing about these, but a merchant's wire details could be
expanded to include such information.

(2) Use Taler as it exists today but let users do cross currency SEPA
transfers when withdrawing money.  This is probably the easiest
option.

(3) Use Taler with coins that carry a value denominated in a hybrid
currencies.  This crazy currency trading finance stuff and may not work.

There is no need for a second Taler exchange since the clearing house
interacts directly with the merchant's or customer's bank in (1) and (2)
respectively.  And the exchange plays crazy games w1th the currency
markets themselves in (3).

For (2), there is nothing that prevents a Taler wallet from containing
coins of several different currencies, but I've never looked into the
user interface for that myself.

Jeff