taler

Re: [Taler] Trade symbol of GNU Taler

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Trade symbol of GNU Taler
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 20:32:35 +0100

On 11/08/2016 08:28 PM, David Hedlund wrote:
> Can you please state that on the main page of taler.net?
>

> It will help most people to learn the difference between Taler and
> Bitcoin for example.

On the main page, it says:

Reserves

Taler uses an electronic exchange holding financial reserves in existing
currencies. This means that Taler is not a new currency with the
inherent currency fluctuation risks, but instead the cryptographic coins
correspond to existing currencies, such as US Dollars, Euros or even
BitCoins.

If you click on "Citizens", it says:

Stability

Coins in your digital wallet will be of the same denomination as the
cash in your physical wallet. So you will not have to worry about
currency fluctuations or conversion rates. Like a physical wallet, you
can carry digital coins of different currencies in your digital wallet
at the same time.

If you click on "Merchants", it says:

Flexible

Taler can be used for different currencies (such as Euros or US Dollars)
and different payment models limited only by what the exchange supports
in its interactions.

If you click on "Operators", it says:

Business model

The basic business model for Taler is the operation of an exchange. An
exchange converts money from traditional payment systems (Mastercard,
SEPA, Visa, BitCoin, ACH, SWIFT, etc.) to anonymous electronic coins in
the same currency. The customer can then redeem the electronic coins at
a merchant, who can exchange them for money represented using
traditional payment systems at the exchange. The exchange can then
charge fees (to the customer, merchant or both) to facilitate the
transactions.

While none of this discusses the use of a trade symbol, this is clearly
implied.  I'm not sure adding a sentence like "and so we do not have a
trade symbol" would really help to make this any clearer...