[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[sysvinit-devel] New beta packages available
[sysvinit-devel] New beta packages available
Fri, 1 Feb 2019 11:28:19 -0400
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.4.0
Hello once again. I am happy to report there are new beta packages
available for SysV init, startpar and insserv. These new development
releases are largely a product of coordinating efforts with the Debian
and Devuan communities. We have been upstreaming several patches and
working on identifying and fixing minor problems.
There are a couple of significant changes which I feel are worth noting,
maybe with a WARNING, about the new behaviour:
1. I have imported the logsave program from e2fsprogs, This is the same
program as was available in the latest stable e2fsprogs release and it
does the same thing. The reason for the duplication is some downstream
scripts use the logsave program, but it is not available unless the
e2fsprogs package is installed. Since initscripts relies on logsave, I
imported it. (Not sure yet if it'll be dropped from e2fsprogs in the
future.) This means our version of logsave will overwrite any existing
one on the system, unless it is patched out of the Makefile. This should
have no practical effect as it is the same program, but worth noting
there is a potential over-write happening.
2. The halt command now passes "-h -P" to the shutdown command if "halt
-p" or "poweroff" is called on the command line. This causes shutdown to
set the INIT_HALT environment variable to "POWEROFF". This value is
often checked by shutdown scripts. And, in some cases, this may cause
shutdown behaviour to change when the "halt" or "poweroff" command is
used. In the past, calling halt did not set INIT_HALT and the system was
more likely to simply halt without powering off too.
That is it for major changes. The rest is minor bug fixes, some code
clean-up and performance improvements. Detailed changelogs follow.
The new beta packages can be downloaded from here:
Please file bug reports here:
SysV init 2.94-beta
* When the halt command is called with the -p flag (or as poweroff)
the command now passes the "-h -P" flags to shutdown. This
in turn sets the INIT_HALT environment variable to POWEROFF.
Assuming this value is checked by initscripts during the
shutting down procedure, it should cause the system to
be powered off.
If halt is called without -p then the value of INIT_HALT
is not set and the default action (often set in /etc/defaut/halt)
* Removed unnecessary malloc.h includes. Memory allocation
and freeing is now handled in stdlib.h
* Added defines for FreeBSD to make some components compile
on FreeBSD 11.
* Increased the size of the kernel command line buffer in bootlogd
from 256 characters to 4096. This size is defined in
for easy modification downstream.
* Added logsave.c and logsave.8 manual page from e2fsprogs to make
sure logsave is available to initscripts.
* Updated src/Makefile to make sure bootlogd compiles with Clang.
* Use defined constants for password length in sulogin. Makes
it easier to update/patch later.
* Minor code fixes across multiple source files to avoid buffer
overflows, or uninitialized strings.
* Changed the way the "when" variable is used internally in shutdown.c.
It starts as a NULL pointer, then might get set as a pointer to
then it might get set to point to an argv parameter, then it might
a string value copied into it, over-writing the original data. We
not risk over-writing internal variables which might get used for
else (it's rude and security risk). Set up "when" as its own buffer
that has data from optargs and/or argv copied into it.
- Applied distro-independent patches from Debian to
upstream code and manual page.
Mostly introduces typo fixes and more flexible
The following patches are no longer needed downstream:
- Minor update to manual page to fix typo.
- Added patch from Dmitry Bogatov which makes communicating
with D-bus optional at compile time. This feature is
enabled by compiling with WANT_SYSTEMD defined.
- Migrated Debian testsuite into the "tests" directory.
- Fixed typo in warning messages.
- Cause Makefile to create link needed for testing in "tests"
directory when building insserv. Running distclean removes
link to avoid cluttering archive.
- Fixed pushd() and popd() functions to avoid terminating insserv
if the current working directory is inaccessible.
Fixes Debian bugs #573571 and #785687.
- Updated warning message insserv disables when an init.d script
is not executable, to better indicate the script will not
be enabled at boot/entering runlevel.
Closes Debian bug 661314.
- Applied patch from Bloeslaw Tokarski which should improve
performance of insserv in some cases by bypassing unnecessary
some fadvise calls.
Closes Debian bug #775912
- Updated manual page with format changes. Applied
patch from Bjarni Ingi Gislason which closes Debian
- Applied two new memory checks to avoid potential segfault.
- Print full path names when giving status updates on creating
(or failing to create) files such as .depend.boot, .depend.start
Addresses Debian bug #547609
- Minor fix to Makefile to make sure it cleans up after
* Fixed typos in startpar.c error messages.
Moves Debian patch 99 upstream.
* Applied Debian patches 81_timeout and 83_hardening upstream.
* Minor code clean-up in makeboot.c to remove duplicate
* Added changelog to the tarball.
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [sysvinit-devel] New beta packages available,
Jesse Smith <=