sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] Could not determine runlevel

From: Jesse Smith
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] Could not determine runlevel
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:44:27 -0300

On 06/13/2018 04:08 PM, Matias Fonzo wrote:

> That explain why it can't determine the runlevel.  The file exists,
> but it is a limitation of the libc, in our case (Dragora -devel), we
> are using Musl.  See
> https://wiki.musl-libc.org/faq.html#Q:-Why-is-the-utmp/wtmp-functionality-only-implemented-as-stubs?

This is interesting. We may have to look into a way for the shutdown
process to get runlevels without using utmp. Perhaps init could write
the runlevel directly to a file, such as /var/run/runlevel to work
around situations like this.

>> Alternatively, you can try using the "shutdown" command in place of
>> "halt". Running "shutdown -P -h now" is approximately the equivalent
>> of using "halt".
> The command used was 'reboot'.

If I'm not mistaken, the reboot command is just a link to the halt
binary. So I'd still like to find out if using shutdown will work where
halt/reboot fail.