sysvinit-devel

[sysvinit-devel] Rename insserv options --dryrun and --showall?

From: Petter Reinholdtsen
Subject: [sysvinit-devel] Rename insserv options --dryrun and --showall?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:06:27 +0200

Hi.

In <URL: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=580773 >,
there is a suggestion to rename insserv options --dryrun and --showall
to --dry-run and --show-all, to match other programs with such
options.

I counted how many manual pages on my machine use --dryrun (1) and
--dry-run (17), so bringing insserv in line with the other tools seem
like a good idea.

I found no other --showall nor --show-all options, so it is less
relevant.  There are some starting with --show, and 34 starting with
--show-, so --show-all would be more in line with the rest, I guess.

The argument to change seem compelling to me, as it is a good thing to
have consistent options across all command line tools.  Any
objections?

I counted using commands similar to this:

 zgrep --  --dryrun /usr/share/man/man*/*|wc -l
 zgrep --  --dry-run /usr/share/man/man*/*|wc -l

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen