List of Installed Files from backup

From: Bob Stricklin
Subject: List of Installed Files from backup
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 18:28:32 +0000

Hello,

I have a Ubuntu 20.10 system that crashed its SSD main drive.

I have backups of the the following /home/users /etc /bin /usr /sbin and a few
others using rsync.

I was using Synaptic to install some files along with apt.

Is there a way to reach back into my backup files and recover a list of the
packages I had in stalled?

This would serve as a way to restore a development system. Maintain a list of
the current Synaptic packages installed. Re-build the system and then manually
elect all the files on your previous list that you want to install. For me and
I think others you always end up with a bunch of packages you really don’t need
so best not to re-install everything.

I see ways to get a list of installed files on a active system but not from the
backups of one that has crashed.

Just to mention, I had trouble pulling the root based folders back in using
rsync because it changes all the owners. Also don’t find the Backup/Restore
application in Ubuntu to be very friendly and easy to use.

Looked through the history here on this archive for info on this topic but not
seeing a good reference. Seems like the Synaptic History would be keeping a
file someplace with this type info or a log file possible?

Bob