Re: [Synaptic-devel] Feature Request(s)

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Feature Request(s)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:00:15 +0300

Quoting Konrad D±browski <address@hidden>:

> Hi
> First of all thanks for creating such a wonderful program. I love it.
> However,
> there are a few small things I'd ask you to add. I *do* have a use for them,
>
> I promise.
> In the default window, I would like to be able to sort by description and
> installed/available version numbers. Also, please could you add a (possibly
> optional) column that says how much must be downloaded to install/upgrade a
> package.

Hum. I fail to see how those would be useful, especially in GUI context (I could
perhaps somehow imagine outputting those to textfile being useful somewhere
but..) Care you enlighten us? :)

> Finally, when pressing proceed, Synaptic says that it must download xxMB of
> archives rather than yy/xxMB of archives as apt-get says. Personally, I would
> prefer the apt-get version, if you don't please could you make it
> configurable as this is really useful for me.

Due to differences in the way apt and synaptic work I think it's not quite as
trivial as it sounds: the "fetcher" object which knows what's in local cache and
what needs to be actually downloaded isn't available at the time Synaptic shows
the download summary (unlike apt-get). Showing accurate stats would be nice but
not sure if it's worth the effort, unless of course Michael has better idea how
to do it that I :)

--
    - Panu -