[Synaptic-devel] [bug #3777] packages not installing

From: nobody
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] [bug #3777] packages not installing
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 05:37:43 -0400

=================== BUG #3777: LATEST MODIFICATIONS ==================
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=3777&group_id=2422

Changes by: Michael Vogt <address@hidden>
Date: Mon 09/01/2003 at 09:37 (GMT)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Fixed
              Status | Open                      | Closed

I think this bug is fixed. synaptic will tell the user about problems like the
one described below now.

=================== BUG #3777: FULL BUG SNAPSHOT ===================

Submitted by: dgdaniels               Project: Synaptic
Submitted on: Wed 05/28/2003 at 02:59
Category:  None                       Severity:  5 - Major
Bug Group:  None                      Resolution:  Fixed
Assigned to:  None                    Status:  Closed

Original Submission:  I'm trying to get eclipse to install. I've set the
sources.list see below. The first time I ran synaptic it happily downloaded
everything it needed but didn't install apparently. No error message no hint of
a problem. Now, when I double click on the eclipse platform synaptic thinks
about it for a second but no errors in the terminal and no Eclipse...i'm in the
dark here...

here's the sources list

rpm ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/generic
freerpm-src ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download
1.5/generic

free non-free

rpm ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/redhat-9
free

rpm-src ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download
1.5/redhat-9 free

rpm ftp://eu.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/generic
freerpm-src ftp://eu.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download
1.5/generic

free non-free

rpm ftp://eu.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/redhat-9
free

rpm-src ftp://eu.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download
1.5/redhat-9 free

ideas?

Follow-up Comments
*******************

Date: Mon 09/01/2003 at 09:37       By: mvogt

Date: Thu 05/29/2003 at 21:44       By: mvogt
this is probably caused by the following situation. if you try to install
something the internal problem resolver tries to satisfy every dependency. if
this fails it cleans up so that no broken packages will be generated. this
might mean that it just undoes the request to install elcipse. you may check
the "what it would depend on" tab und "depenedencies" and see if you find the
problem there. we know that this resolving strategie isn't optiomal, we may
just throw a error in the future to tell the user what's going on.

CC list is empty

No files currently attached

For detailed info, follow this link:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=3777&group_id=2422