Re: [Synaptic-devel] french i18n

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] french i18n
Date: 8 Jan 2003 16:19:44 +0100

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:35:51PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> I've just translated new strings.

Thanks.

> To help me to get a good translation, can you explain what is exactly
>         WeakDepends
>         ReverseDepends
>         Pinned
>         Package changes
>
> What the use of label_pkgname, label55 (should it be translated, like
> étiquette55?)

The label_something string shouldn't be translated, they are never
displayed. I wonder why they are there in the first place. I'll see
what I can do to get rid of them.

For the other stuff:

WeakDepends is a debian concept. In addition to "Depends:", we have
"Recommends" and "Suggests" that means, the package will work without
those "Recommended/Suggested" packages but it can make use of them in
some way.

ReverseDepends is a special kind of package filter. If you want to
know what packages task-devel has as dependenicies,
you define a filter that says:
"include all packages that reverse depends on task-devel"
(that could be say gcc, g++, gdb). It's more or less what you see if
you click on "What depends on it" under the dependencie tab.

Pinned means, that the package will never upgraded through apt. It'll
stay the same no matter if there is a new version available.

Package changes is used in the package summary window (just after you
click procceed). It gives you details about what packages will be
installed, removed and upgraded.

If you (or someone else) have suggestions for improving the english
names of the above, just let me know. I'm not a native speaker, so
suggestions are always welcome :)

> I think I get the meaning of MUpgradeColor MInstallColor... but same
> question apply. Should it be translated (the M stand for?)?

No, they are in the translation by accident, too. I'll try to find
some time to go through the po file and filter out the nonsense.

> Regards,

thanks for your help,
 Michael