Re: [Swftools-common] Standalone version of pdf2swf

From: RDP
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Standalone version of pdf2swf
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 04:19:49 +0000

On 27 January 2015 at 23:31,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I’m currently helping a friend who plans on creating an swf/swc file that
> will in turn run pdf2swf in it.
> Unfortunately, the exact purpose of doing that wasn’t provided to me and I
> can only assume that he plans on doing a web applet that will use pdf2swf.
> The version of swftools being used is the latest git from github (
> https://github.com/matthiaskramm/swftools )
> Crossbridge will be used in Windows under Cygwin hence I will be attempting
> to compile swftools under the same.

I assume from the above, that you/he anticipate executing pdf2swf under Windows,
server-side?  if so, maybe you would be wise to initially test out the
pdf2swf pre-
built executable, available from the development build,

   http://swftools.org/swftools-2013-04-09-1007.exe

As far as I am aware, the last Git build dd not compile cleanly, so
it's highly likely
you will have serious issues to resolve.  By all means re-post to this
list, your
findings, should you attempt it.

As for compilation using Crossbridge under Cygwin?  Well to me that seems like
a very arduous and tortuous way of achieving the desired result!  I'm
not familiar
with Crossbridge, but a quick scan of the details doesn't provide any clue as to
the proposed benefits to be got from compiling pdf2swf in this way.  How do you
see it?   Again, if you are adamant on trying it this way, feel free to post any
trials and tribulations to this list, so we can try to assist, and
others can benefit
from your experiences.

The SWFTools project itself, is in a state of indecisive flux at
present.  Further
development has temporarily ceased, and no bug fixing of the last releases
is planned.  The documentation wiki is currently in mothballs also ( though
being worked on )

All I can say is keep watching this space..

Regards,

Chris,