Re: [Swftools-common] Running pdf2swf on a server like slicehost

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Running pdf2swf on a server like slicehost
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:25:54 +0100

On 18 August 2010 00:48, Pree Kolari <address@hidden> wrote:
> Any body has experience running pdf2swf on a hosted server like slicehost?
> Scribd does it and I am looking to do part of what scribd does (just the
> part that converts pdf to swf).
>
> I am hoping it can be used to generate swf files via a web interface. Any
> pointers to how someone else has done it would be really helpful.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -pree

If the enviroment that you are installing swftools into meets all the necessary
prerequsites ( and since Slicehost is a VPS provider with root access, they
should either already be there in the distribtuion you choose,  or if missing
you could install tem ) , then there should be very little difference to running
any of the tools locally.

If you are looking to trigger conversions 'on-the-fly', then you obviosuly have
a bit of scripting to do in whatever is your favourite choice, of
poison, i.e. Perl,
Python, PHP,

   http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.exec.php

HTH.