Re: [Swftools-common] Swftools, PDF and HTML5

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Swftools, PDF and HTML5
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 10:58:10 +0200

On 8 May 2010 10:28, John Francis Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am very happy to learn of the embrace of html5 by scripd. I have
> always  disliked the proprietary, opaque nature of flash and pdf and I
> am eager to see them both go.

Since the file format specifications for both PDF and SWF are available
to view by all who care to do so - how do you think SWFTools and
others came into being in the first place? - describing their nature
as 'opaque' is rather OTT.    They do a job, and they do it well.  As
a result of this adoption, there are also now alternatives, e.g

 http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

http://www.cogniview.com/convert-pdf-to-excel/post/pdf-editing-creation-50-open-sourcefree-alternatives-to-adobe-acrobat/

( random link )

> So this is a wonderful announcement! And I'm very happy that Mathias has
> found a company whose business saavy matches and aligns with his
> technical saavy, which allows him to relax and to work as hard as wants to.

> Good luck to Mathias, to sripd, and hurray for all of us who have had
> one more ogre driven back to its den to die, or to see the light and to
> reemerge a champion of the brave, not-so-new world itself.

Wax lyrical, why don't you? ;o)

> "This message may have been intercepted and read by U.S. government
> agencies including the FBI, CIA, and NSA and/or the present government
> of Thailand without notice or warrant or knowledge of sender or recipient."

.. in which case the sandman has probably already come to call!!

Regards,

Chris.