RE: [Swftools-common] version 1.0?

From: Andreas Haufler \(scireum\)
Subject: RE: [Swftools-common] version 1.0?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:55:21 +0200

Hey guys,

I’d like to clarify the statement made by mike. What we meant by saying
we’re waiting for a “1.0” is that the git-code now and then seems to be a
bit broke. So we are actually asking for an estimate when some of you would
think the code is stable enough so that we would run a lot of tests, do a
lot of debugging and report errors or fixes to the list.

So that was clearly meant to be an offer to contribute to the project. We
enjoy using pdf2swf and we’re absolutely willing to contribute back. We just
don’t have the time to start all those tests, just to find out, that pdf2swf
fails with a seg fault or so, because there’s a memory issue or what not.

To my eyes, some coordination on generating a release which is stable and
usable (independent of which features are in) would be a good thing to do.

And chris, to answer your question, you are indeed unfair ;-) Tests are as
much a part of good software as the development of new features. So
providing a large test set and contributing to a stable and mature release
is DEFINITELY an incentive and not at all to be criticized. ALSO, at least
you might want to check the list archives first. We had a specific feature
request and we DID offer money for a fix. (We also did some contributions
and research concerning the new font rendering in FP10).

I'd say, we all calm down a bit, remain a friendly and open conversation on
this list and focus on the development and delivery of good software.

Our offer remains, as long as some of you are interested in making a "1.0"
or whatever, we're willing to invest a lot of time in testing, debugging and
of course, contributing back to the project. However, some coordination
would be a necessary.

best regards
Andy

freundliche Grüße
scireum GmbH

Andreas Haufler
Geschäftsführer

scireum GmbH, Friedrichstr. 8, 70736 Fellbach

Tel: (0711) 69394632  -  E-Mail:   address@hidden
Fax: (0711) 69394635  -  Internet: http://www.scireum.de

Geschäftsführer: Michael Haufler, Andreas Haufler
Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 732171