Re: [Swftools-common] if you could specify PDF optimization and settings

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] if you could specify PDF optimization and settings for the cleanest PDF2SWF conversions ..
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:33:54 +0200

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 11:00:10AM -0400, Joshua Sutherland <address@hidden>
wrote:
> We did a few tests based on the above settings, and we started
> receiving badly balanced softmasks/transparency groups errors, we then
> tried coversion with -s poly2bitmap, which now allows the full multi
> page PDF to convert, but we start seeing issues in outputted SWF
> beyond minor artifacting and pixelation. Such as weird looking
> background coversions of imagery, drop shadows not converted
> correctly, some text areas appear to be covered over by opaque
> rectangles.

Sounds like that these are all xpdf issues, particularily with
softmasks and transparency groups.

I hope that there's a new official xpdf release soon. Derek did a
lot of work into fixing issues like this, and his prerelease versions
work much better with most of these features.

If you can't wait, consider getting an xpdf support contract.

> Anyways, I was hoping someone could either confirm or suggest what is
> the Ideal PDF to be converted via PDF2SWF.

Since all of your issues are with variations of transparency, consider
reconverting your PDFs to PDF 1.2 or PDF 1.3.

> many thanks and I apologize that my 1st post in a few years being so long.

Well, welcome back! :)