Re: [Swftools-common] Can we create Single layer swf file

From: filip sound
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Can we create Single layer swf file
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:08:28 +0200

well, basically you're right but in flash every object has it's own layer - meaning: a new object is always on a new layer

it's not possible to have a shape and an image on one layer ... one is always above the other one.

it is possible to merge several shapes that are right after each other to one shape i.e. one layer.

you might be confused because of the layer functionality of the flash ide which might let you think that objects on one "layer" in the ide really are on one layer. but they are not. it's just a kind of group functionality there. still objects are on top of other objects when you place them in one "layer" in the ide.

i'm working on a editor that simplifies swf files generated with pdf2swf which allows the user to group certain object groups and change their index (z-sort). it's not possible to let a program do that automatically - at least not for a swf generated from a pdf page because the structure of the swf comes from the graphic program someone used to layout the pdf content.

hope that brings enlightment,
  filip