RE: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - How to reduce the swf file size?

From: MG Balaji
Subject: RE: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - How to reduce the swf file size?
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:44:40 +0530

Hello Matthias,

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried the below mentioned options, but it is not
fine. My PDF page (1 page) size is 3218 KB. To reduce the SWF file size I used
the option "pdf2swf -s subpixels=1 -s jpegquality=50 file.pdf -o file.swf", but
the output SWF file size is 923 KB.

I used the --flatten option also, it created the output SWF file size is 1036
KB.

So both of the options not use to reduce the SWF file size. If any options
available like "-O1" or "poly2bitmap" without affecting image quality, it will
help to all.

Thanks,
Balaji

> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:17:11 +0200
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - How to reduce the swf file size?
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:39:47PM +0530, MG Balaji  wrote:
>> I am using latest SWF tool ("swftools-2008-10-13-1554") version. I am
>> trying to convert individual PDF pages into individual SWF files. In
>> that some of the PDF page size is more then 3 MB and some having more
>> images. The SWF size for these pages having 800 KB and 1 MB. How can I
>> reduce the SWF file size (below 300 KB)?. Is there any option
>> available?.
>
> Try e.g.
>     pdf2swf -s subpixels=1 -s jpegquality=50 file.pdf -o file.swf
>
>> Also I saw some of the previous threads and got some options -
>> "poly2bitmap" and "-O1". I tried this options, It will reduce the SWF
>> file size dramatically(eg: 1MB SWF size to 200 KB), but the image
>> quality is very poor. I wants to know what "-O1" and "poly2bitmap"
>> do?.
>
> It converts everything except text into a bitmap.
>
>> Is there any way to reduce the SWF size without affecting the image quality?.
>
> You might want to try --flatten:
>     pdf2swf --flatten file.pdf -o file.swf
> .
> That helps sometimes.
>
> Greetings
>
> Matthias

Movies, sports & news! Get your daily entertainment fix, only on live.com
http://www.live.com/?scope=video&form=MICOAL