Re: [Swftools-common] Patch for pdf2swf (CID codemap file options)

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Patch for pdf2swf (CID codemap file options)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:03:17 +0200

Hi Moriyoshi,

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 12:46:24AM +0900, Moriyoshi Koizumi wrote:
> I made a patch against the current version of pdf2swf
> that adds the following 4 command line options to specify
> CID code mapping files that are needed to perform CID encoding
> conversion by. All these parameters can also be set in the XPDF's
> per-user configuration file (.xpdfrc) .

Thanks for the patch. I'm currently looking over it.
Why do you need to specify the parameters on the command line,
btw.? What's wrong with /etc/xpdfrc? Do you need to switch
between mappings from one pdf2swf run to the next?

I also don't understand the reason for this:

>      if(!(fontname = searchForSuitableFont(gfxFont))) {
> -     fontname = "Times-Roman";
> +     if (!gfxFont->isCIDFont()) {
> +         fontname = "Times-Roman";
> +     } else {
> +         fontname = oldname;
> +     }
>      }
>      filename = searchFont(fontname);

If replaceFont() (the function where this section of code
appears) is called, searchFont(oldname) already failed.
So what's the point in trying that again for CID fonts?

> p.s. Note that you will need fontconfig support in most cases where
> you are processing a PDF that contains non-embedded CJK fonts.

Ok, I'll add a note to the docs.
Btw., would you be interested in writing a quick HOWTO on how to get
pdf2swf working with Japanese Fonts? Where to put the xpdf language
packs etc.?

Oh, and do you happen to have any good PDFs for testing?

Greetings