Re: [Swftools-common] Video codec

From: Leonard Holman
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Video codec
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 17:06:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Matthias, thanks for the response.  The Swf docs
say that the h.263 is lossless, so there is still
quality loss in the conversion then?  If there is
quality loss, then this is something that might not be
worth looking into.  I was wanting to extract the
highest quality video I could, but it seems that this
might not be possible then.  I was interested in
extracting all the art assests in a swf so that I
could manipulate them out side of flash.  Once again,
thanks for the information.

--- Matthias Kramm <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 09:11:31PM -0700, Leonard
> Holman wrote:
> > I was wondering if there was a way to extract the
> > video data from a swf file so that it can be
> converted
> > back into an avi or a mpeg video.  I can extract
> each
> > frame of the video packet data, but I have no
> > knowledge on coverting the data into anything
> useful.
>
> It's possible, but does requires quite some hacking.
> In priciple, the code to decode the h.263 packets is
> in lib/h.263/video.c.
> It only "disassembles" the data, though, it doesn't
> yet
> convert it back to images. The motion vectors need
> be followed, and the IDCT done backwards. This is
> actually
> all done in lib/h.263/swfvideo.c, for calculating
> VIDEOSTREAM.oldpic- what needs to be done is to plug
> the
> corresponding routines together.
>
> But what do you need this for? The video data in
> SWFs is rarely
> of good enough quality to be useful for anything
> else.
>
> Greetings
>
> Matthias

=====