Re: [Swftools-common] MP3 options for avi2swf

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] MP3 options for avi2swf
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:13:45 +0100

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:06:50AM -0500, Marcus Doemling wrote:
> It seems when converting an avi to swf there are no choices
> for the MP3 parameters, such as bitrate, samplerate, stereo/mono
> or frequency. I was wondering if this is something that is
> planned for a future release and if so how soon this could
> be expected.

Good idea. The CVS version now contains a parameter for the mp3 bitrate
(--mp3-bitrate).
Samplerate and mono/stereo are more involved and require some in-depth
changes to the video encoder, though, so I won't come around to do
this anytime soon.

> On the other hand if this is not a priority maybe someone
> could tell me what needs to be done and point me towards
> the places in the source code where those MP3 options
> could be added and I might be able to contribute some
> work to this project.

Well, to get variable samplerate working, the following would need to be done:
1.) Port wav2swf's variable bitrate mp3 encoding code (found in
    wav2swf's main()) to avi2swf, file v2swf.c, writeAudioForOneFrame().
2.) Provide a parameter to avi2swf to set it (see avi2swf.cc, around
    line 520, and the function v2swf_setparameter in v2swf.c).

Getting stereo to work is a little bit more complicated, but if you
are interested in doing that as well, I'll take a look at what would
need to be done.

Greetings