[Swarm-Support] Installation of Swarm from packages on 64-bit Ubuntu

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Installation of Swarm from packages on 64-bit Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:25:18 -0700

I recently installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 10.10 (the current version), and then Swarm using Paul Johnson's packages. (My Swarm codes seem to run in about 2/3 the time in 64-bit vs. 32, so there is a significant advantage to 64.)

(The same method should work for 32-bit, I think. Just find and download Paul's 32-bit versions of BLT and Swarm; Paul recently posted their locations:
http://www.swarm.org/pipermail/support/2011-March/015939.html )

Here is how I did the installation:

1. Use the Synaptic Package Manager (under the "System" menu) to install these packages:

tk
tcl
libhdf5-serial-dev

Just start typing the package name in the "Quick search" dialog and it will find the package. I used the latest versions: 8.4.16-2 of tk and tcl.

2. Download BLT and Swarm packages from Paul's site. If you just click on these links in your browser, Ubuntu should download them to your /Downloads directory. Paul currently has them here:
http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/10.04/amd64/blt/blt_2.4z-5_amd64.deb
http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/10.04/amd64/swarm/libswarm-dev_2.4.0-1_amd64.deb
http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/10.04/amd64/swarm/libswarm0_2.4.0-1_amd64.deb
http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/10.04/amd64/swarm/libswarm0-dbg_2.4.0-1_amd64.deb

(I did not install Java Swarm; there's another package to add it.)

3. Now install the BLT and Swarm packages. You can just double-click on each one (BLT first) in Nautilus (the Linux file "explorer"). This opens the Ubuntu Software Center, where you can just click an "install" button.

4. Now you just need to set your "Swarmhome" environment variable. The standard way is to edit the hidden file ".bashrc" that should be in your home directory ( /home/MyUserName ). Just open this file in gedit and add these 3 lines to the bottom:

#Set Swarm home
SWARMHOME=/
export SWARMHOME

Now, after you log out and back in, you should be able to compile and run Swarm codes.

PLEASE BE AWARE that Paul's current 64-bit package uses the latest development version of Swarm, which has at least one important change from the stable version 2.2. The Swarm class "Zone" was changed to "SwarmZone". So if your code creates zones using statements like this:

  modelZone = [Zone create: globalZone];

you will need to change it to:

  modelZone = [SwarmZone create: globalZone];

However, where you declare a zone:

  id <Zone> modelZone;

do *NOT* change it to "SwarmZone".

Steve Railsback