[Swarm-Support] Grouping agents in an on demand fashion

From: Kyle Hanson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Grouping agents in an on demand fashion
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:18:55 -0700

I was working through the book "Swarm Intelligence" by James Kennedy and was attempting at creating a simulation of grouping agents (based on their traits).  I completed that without much difficulty, but when I moved onto the next shift I wanted to make I ran into some problems. I wanted to group the users only when they are active. I wanted eventually use this to model users on my site in a nice visual interface. The problem is that users are not always active and thus my algorithm is wasting time calculating them. Most Swarm models I have looked at (actually about all the models i have looked at) use a cycle based time period. Where it simply cycles through ALL users and performs the swarm grouping and optimization operations on them.

What I was hoping for was an "on demand" swarm model. For example, if a user changes their profile information it regroups them, but it doesnt bother grouping users that havent been active on the site.

I was hoping you guys could help me out with this.

Thanks