[Swarm-Support] About some little troubles I encountered when I migrated

From: Thomas Louail
Subject: [Swarm-Support] About some little troubles I encountered when I migrated my swarm app
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 19:29:59 +0200

Hi everybody,

I recently had to migrate my swarm app from a dedicated server to several desktop PCs, and i faced some little troubles i guess should return, and i think it's a good place to do so :)

Let's be a little bit more verbose about my past and present configs :

The swarm app core (in objC swarm 2.2) used to run on a dedicated linux server (debian 3.4 distro), and the swarm library running on it was compiled and installed in 2002 i think (i'm not quite sure because i wasn't workin' on the project at that time). Taking a look at Swarm versions calendar, it seems that the 2.2 version was already released at that time, but maybe some modifications were made since ? Anyway, when calling my app with the '-v' option, i can see it uses the 2.2 version. For different reasons, the server hasn't been maintained for a while and lots of packages haven't been updated; in particular the gcc version running on the server is gcc3, which was more permissive to some constructions, like nested functions for example, and the code of my applications made use of that;

When i decided to migrate the code on my desktop machine, running ubuntu 8.4, i compiled and installed swarm (/usr/include) in the standard way, the swarm apps from coming with Paul Johson's package are running fine, everything is allright. When i ran a 'make' command in my app's directory, i had to face some gcc-dependant troubles related with my code, but in addition i faced some difficulties which I think are coming from the way swarm installed on my desktop machine.

For example i got this error :

Dans le fichier inclus à partir de base/SP2Control.m:16:
/usr/local/include/defobj/FArguments.h:29:21: erreur: internal.h : Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type /usr/local/include/defobj/FArguments.h:33:20: erreur: avcall.h : Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
In file included from base/SP2Control.m:16:
/usr/local/include/defobj/FArguments.h:55: erreur: expected specifier-qualifier-list before «av_alist" /usr/local/include/defobj/FArguments.h:56: erreur: expected specifier-qualifier-list before «av_alist"
base/SP2Control.m: In function «doCall":
base/SP2Control.m:392: attention : implicit declaration of function «fcall_type_for_objc_type"
base/SP2Control.m: In function «doCall":
base/SP2Control.m:492: attention : implicit declaration of function «find_ivar" base/SP2Control.m:492: attention : assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
make: *** [SP2Control.o] Erreur 1

as some part are in french, i resume the error : in my file base/SP2Control.m, i included the file FArguments.h located in the defobj package. This one contains an import directive to internal.h, and taking a look at /usr/include/defobj, i can see that include.h is missing. I got the same kind of error for the file avcall.h as you can see on line 3

Finally i made my app compile by taking the files from the src/ directory that i got when downloading the swarm distrib, and i copied those "missing" files into my /usr/local/include/ directory I wonder : it seems that some .h files are not copied during the final part of the installation process (make install). Is it just me, or do you think that any app installed in a standard way on ubuntu and which would make use of some FArguments functions would fail the same way at compilation time ?

Thanks a lot for your answer, help and time
Have a good day,

Thomas