[Swarm-Support] Leopard Compilation from scratch

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Leopard Compilation from scratch
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:24:44 +1100

From the discussions on the Apple-X11 users list, the new X11 was not quite baked for the Leopard release date and has some issues that may be biting us. Apparently one engineer was trying to do the whole new X11 build from new sources in his spare time!

Abe Stephens wrote:

Hi, I'm encountering a linking problem whenever I attempt to link to
X11's libGL in Leopard.

Here is a concise example:

echo 'static void *foo; int main() { foo = (void *) glGetIntegerv; }' | g++ -xc++ - -I/usr/X11R6/include -includeGL/gl.h -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL
ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Does anyone have some advice on how to fix this?

This is a new feature (AKA bug) in /usr/bin/ld, coupled with the fact
that Apple rather stupidly chose the same name "libGL.dylib" for two
linked but different libraries in /usr/X11/lib and in the OpenGL framework.

A fix is described here:
<http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/ Fink:Packaging:Preparing_for_10.5#OpenGL_Bug>

Please file a bug on bugreport.apple.com.

I suggest you file a bug report. The more they get, the quicker it will be fixed.

Bill