Re: [Swarm-Support] Asynchronous schedule

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Asynchronous schedule
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:50:29 -0500

Good luck with your project.

I wrote some code for an Asynchronous schedule in 2 projects.

You can look here

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/MySwarmCode

The ballet dancing model (in the Dancer directory) has dancers who do steps that take a given amount of time, and some steps are long, some short. So the agent takes a leap and then says to himself "schedule me again in 4 periods." In the public opinion model (in OpinionFormation), you will find a bunch of C flags and commentary about different variants of scheduling. The big question is "do you want one big schedule in the ModelSwarm where all actions get inserted?" as in Mousetrap, or do you want each agent itself to be a swarm with its own schedule inside that one.

Before Swarmfest in Seattle, I did a ton of simulations on the various alternatives, and intended to write a full paper. Here's the presentation
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/ResearchPapers/Presentations/Swarmfest02/DynamicScheduling/

I lost heart in writing a full paper because the simulations took forever.

There are Obj-c code examples in a series "pjrepeaterX.m". Those are in the SwarmFaq WorkingExampleCode directory.

Sorry, I've not been too interested in Java, but I think if you study the Obj-C code, you may at least understand where your work lies. And you will get a more specific set of questions to address to the Java users.

address@hidden wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build a Swarm (java version) model with timesteps dependant
on the state of things at different times. Basically i want to draw the
time to the next event from an exponential distribution, choose my event,

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504