[Swarm-Support] Savannah project site outage: updates

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Savannah project site outage: updates
Date: 24 Dec 2003 04:22:05 -0800

As some of you will have already noticed, the Savannah site where we
host the Swarm CVS tree and is the primary tracking and developer site
for Swarm:

 http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/swarm

was been offline for a few weeks, this was due to a site-wide "crack"
on savannah.gnu.org, and savannah.nongnu.org (other free software
sites such as the Debian project's www.debian.org was also hit by a
similar crack).

Things do seem to be getting back to normal now, but all Swarm files
(including the MacOS X and other related files) hosted on Savannah are
temporarily unavailable (the URL at the end has more details).

I believe this is a rare event and I see no need to switch from
hosting Swarm on Savannah at this time.  In general, I think they
offer a better service than SourceForge (where we hosted Swarm
briefly) and is free of banner ads and other chatter.

Also, please note that the method of access to CVS for both developers
and users of anonymous CVS for the Swarm project have changed and
"pserver" access is now longer allowed, please see the statement below
about how to update your CVS checkout to conform with the new system.

The statement from the Savannah developers has more details on all
these matters:

http://savannah.gnu.org/statements/savannah-restored.txt.asc

It's also a good idea to track the latest developments/updates by
checking the main page of Savannah from time to time, should problems
arise or if there is another outage:

 http://savannah.gnu.org

Alex
--