Re: [Swarm-Support] compile error, now almost working

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] compile error, now almost working
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:43:33 -0500

Well, I dunno about your build since you have not done it the way I do.

It looks like you have a typographical error, in the prefix you say "user" and in your compiler output it says "usr".

I hasten to say that if you did ./configure once and built swarm, then running ./configure --prefix will not do anything. You can erase the build dir to get a fresh start.

Also, I wonder if you noticed that when swarm installs, it gives lots of warnings about dynamic libraries and I suspect you have not taken into account the fact that your swarm libraris are not in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Consider setting the library path in the environment with

# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/swarm:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

so it knows where to look.

Marcello wrote:
Hi Paul,
thanks so much for your quick help. Here is what happened:

I was trying to manually compile swarm-2.1.143.20030512. Following your
suggestion, I compiled it in a separate build directory, but I stuck on
gcc 3.2, with GNU libtool 1.4.2 (1.922.2.53 2001/09/11 03:18:52). I just
ran "configure--make--make install" sequence without any change
anywhere.It compiled as smooth as silk (without JDK).
.

I then installed it in a non-standard directory (by ./configure
--prefix=/home/user/swarm).

I then compiled one of my old swarm program in objectC (from swarm 2.0)
and I got this error:
/bin/sh /home/usr/swarm/bin/libtool-swarm --mode link gcc -g -O2
-L/home/usr/swarm/lib -rpath /home/usr/swarm/lib  -o base main.o
Person.o Counter.o Genesis.o ModelSwarm.o ObserverSwarm.o Game.o
Groups.o BatchSwarm.o -lswarm -lswarmobjc libtool-swarm: link: warning: library
`/home/usr/swarm/lib/libswarmobjc.la' was moved.
libtool-swarm: link: cannot find the library
`/usr/local/lib/libswarmobjc.la'
make: *** [base] Error 1
I checked and libswarmobjc.la was in /home/usr/swarm/lib.

I also checked libtool-swarm --config, but nothing pointed to
/home/usr/swarm. I then copied libswarmobjc.* from /home/usr/swarm to
/usr/local/lib, and everything works well. All my programs compile and
run well.

Do you know why I had this problem? I have read on the mailing list about the problems with gcc 3.2, but it
seems to work fine for me. Is that an illusion?

thanks a lot of the help
marcello
P.S. please let me know if you need any details about my system.