Re: [Swarm-Support] I made step-by-step RedHat install/test instructions

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] I made step-by-step RedHat install/test instructions
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:47:25 -0600

I don't think your os performance will be enhanced. But you might free up some disk space. And you might cut a security risk from running some services you don't know or understand.

I'd suggest you review all rpm's installed with this:

rpm -qa

Or, if you installed the gnome desktop, there is a package manager that will list packages by topic. It does not list the file space they use, though, which is sad. I found that tool to be somewhat unreliable. After upgrading several packages from the RH update ftp, that tool showed the packages were not installed. Obviously, it thinks if you don't have it from their CD, you don't have it at all. What's worse, it gets all confused and tries to remove the updated version. So watch out!

And then try removing the ones you don't recognize/understand. If you are killing something vital, usually the dependencies will warn you about them.

There are too many differences of opinion about what is "useful and necessary" to make this very useful, but on this system I removed

evolution
dvdrecord
gedit
switchdesk
gaim
xsane
xsane-gimp
sane-frontends
chromium
freeciv
kdegames
tuxracer
xboard
gcc-gnat
imap
redhat-config-kickstart
postfix
anything related to nfs, including authconfig-gtk
fetchmail
mutt
postfix

Then,since I use lyx to make tetex docs, I had to install all of the tetex packages (actually, I got the new ones from the internet for tetex-2.0.1, I built xforms-1.0 and lyx 1.2.3, because I could not get 1.3 to build against the qt headers or against xforms)

blah blah blah

Kanagaraj Krishna wrote:
Hi,
   Thanks for this contribution. Anyway i have a question..........although
this is not related to SWARM. What do you  mean by irritaiting packages. I want
to uninstall packages that i don't need to improve my os performance. My usage
of Red Hat is for programming only. Any advise on this. Thanks

Regards,
Kana --