Re: MacOS X Port Effort

From: gepr
Subject: Re: MacOS X Port Effort
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 18:56:38 -0700

address@hidden writes:
 > Am Mittwoch, 02.10.02, um 19:45 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb
 > address@hidden:
 > > c) Definitely!  This includes a wholesale rewrite with the lessons
 > > we've learned over the past 7 or 8 years, just a replacement for the
 > > kernel, just a replacement for the ObjC GUI so that it's more amenable
 > > to our multi-language paradigm, and a host of other rewrite efforts.
 >
 > Is there somewhere a list, what would have to be changed to have that
 > better Swarm?
 > Or could somebody (you?) make one?

No.  There are implicit lists in people's heads. [grin] But, nothing
as well formulated as a single list.

It is *our* (i.e. the community's) responsibility to come up with that
list.  As long as we're purely volunteer, we can't wait for a list to
be handed down from somewhere.  And I posit that we won't do it by
concensus.  So, having long drawn-out discussions over what should be
done won't do us any good.

The answer is, pick something you'd like to see changed, figure out
how to change it, submit it as an RFC, wait a while for comments, if
none show up, do the work yourself (or enlist help), then put up a
snapshot for people to play with.  If it survives for awhile with no
problems, then we can merge it into the cvs trunk and test it
officially.  (This would go much easier if everyone would use the cvs
database instead of relying on binaries or releases. -- Mind you I'm
not suggesting that production code run against an arbitrary state of
the cvs database [grin].  For production code, one should always run
against a stable release.  But, if everyone were familiar with
bringing the code up from scratch, many of the quirks would be wrung
out of the package by sheer indignation from what they found
there. [grin])

glen
--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 831.335.4950                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr