Re: [MacOSX] gcc3.1-1145 for downloading

From: Jacobo Myerston
Subject: Re: [MacOSX] gcc3.1-1145 for downloading
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:01:03 -0400

On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 06:28 PM, address@hidden wrote:

It seems to me in my ignorance that installing libiconv on a MacOS X
machine is almost certainly unnecessary and probably a recipe for trouble.
 I  certainly would not do it.

libiconv was installed in my computer by Fink. gcc looks for libiconv when configure is run. I supose it find it. I have removed now libiconv and will try to make new a package of pure Apple gcc. I upgraded my source today, version 1148, and is not compiling.

Should I upgrade again the cctools and so on?

As far as I can see, all the Unicode stuff is in the CoreFoundation
framework, and it does not seem good to me to install a different and
possibly incompatible unicode framework.  I am very much trying to work
towards a version of Swarm which will compile and run on a MacOS X system
with the minimum modification.   Nirvana would be to end up with a Swarm
framework which can be installed and then used to build apps in Project
Builder using it, the AppKit framework and not much else.

 I try to keep modifications to pre-release versions of software which
Apple intends to ship - such as the gcc3.1 compiler.  If I build a
compiler incorporating libiconv it will be different to the standard Apple
3.1 compiler which will ship with Jaguar and that may give me problems
down the track.

The obvious exception to this principle is XFree86 which is necessary
right now because of the version incompatablilities between tcl/tk Aqua
and BLT.

Bill Northcott