Re: Swarm on MacOSX

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: Swarm on MacOSX
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 18:10:14 +1000

Alex wrote
> want to merge everything back into the main trunk, so we wouldn't have
> two sets of codebases, various autoconf and automake magic can be used
> to enable/disable any MacOS X-specific code as required).

It might be easier to do it as Mac Project Builder project and just ignore
the configure and make issues.  Scott said he had already done some work
on this.  PB also interacts directly with CVS.
The project and any MacOSX specific files could be in a 'macosx' directory
within Swarm, much like has been done with Tcl/TK.  That saves messing up
other UNIX code with Aqua display stuff.  You will see what I mean if you
check out the macosx-8.4-branch tag of tk on sourceforge.

> Initially it would be best if any changes were reported as patches
> against the current CVS tree via the Patch Manager:

I need to understand that process.  Hopefully patches to most of the code
will be minimal.  If we use a PB build, we don't have to monkey with the
configure scripts and Makefiles which could well be ugly.

If we could have a 'macosx' directory, that could be on a branch tag or
just ignored by other users and all the autoconf/automake stuff.

> then once we've got some momentum going, and folks are comfortable
> with seeing how the source fits together and/or modifying the source
> (if required), then we can start having users modifying CVS directly
> (there's a fair learning curve with getting the build process from CVS
> working and/or writing ChangeLog entries, testing the fixes etc).

Do you or other admins have access to a Mac for testing any updates on
their way to the CVS?
I believe Apple donated some to Sourceforge, are they accessible through
Savannah?

> I've gone ahead and created a new task "MacOS X port" at:
> which you can use to co-ordinate the various tasks required for the
> port.  In order to be able to add and/or update tasks, you'll need to
> register with savannah:
> and then I can add you to the Swarm project as developer, after which
> time you can add and update tasks.

Thanks for the task.  I registered some weeks back under the user name
'northcob'.

Bill Northcott