Re: MonteCarlo Simulations needed

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: MonteCarlo Simulations needed
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 12:16:12 +0100

Perrone Alessandro wrote:

Hi all
Before starting to program a library for MonteCArlo Simulations, I'd like to know if anyone has ever programmed some MonteCArlo Simulations?
Regards.
                    ALEX

Hi Alex- We have not conducted Monte Carlo simulations, but before you start programming I suggest you take a look at our Experiment Manager. It lets you select model variables or parameters and give them new values (via probes- without having to touch the model code) then automatically executes new model runs with each set of values. Some of the code in the Experiment Manager might be very useful - with perhaps not much modification you could program it into a general Monte Carlo simulation generator. If you are interested, please ask Steve Jackson address@hidden for the code. I have a bit of documentation.

I also discussed this issue yesterday with Thorsten Wiegand of the UFZ research center where I am currently visiting. http://pinus.oesa.ufz.de/english/ Thorsten has conducted Monte Carlo simulations for the purpose of model validation and parameter fitting of agent-based ecological models (not using Swarm). He has some papers on this topic- contact him at address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>

Steve