Re: DefObj

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: DefObj
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 14:58:06 -0700

At 3:24 PM -0600 5/1/02, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
>MD>  Perhaps Objective Caml?  (advantage being a strong type system) Or
>MD> maybe Haskell or Mercury?  Mercury has GCC and .NET backends.

Ack! I've never heard of Objective Caml.  But, Mercury sounds like an option.
I'd
forgotten about that one.

>Alternatively the .NET backend of Mercury generates code suitable for
>recompilation by the CLR virtual machine of .NET.  Another obvious
>`backend' would by the Java virtual machine.  Mercury can also generate C.
>Using C or Java byte code as portable target language is a popular approach
>among implementors of high-level programming languages.

We've had reason to think pretty hard about .NET here at Icarian.  I think we're
going to build a "web services" prototype, except we'll probably do it on Java.
Given that it intersects with my day-job, though.  I think I can get time to do
work in any language that targets .NET.  So, trying the "object lifecycle"
feature
in Mercury sounds fun to me.  I'll see if I can carve out some time to play with
it.

--
-- glen e. p. ropella                              =><=
    Hail Eris!