Re: random seed easy question

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: random seed easy question
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:21:51 -0500

At 01:09 PM 7/6/01, you wrote:

Hi!

I'm using the java interface.

I've been using the random functions from Globals.env but the seed
does not seem to change. Do I have to explicitly change it? How?
But shouldn't it be the other way around? I mean I should specify the
seed only if I want the same simulation? Sorry for the ignorance ...

--

                                    myriam

I don't know whether it "should" be otherwise, but with Swarm you get the same default starting seed every time you run a simulation, unless you specify otherwise. If you use the "-s" switch, you will get a new "random" starting seed (which depends on the time and the process number) every time you run the simulation. Or, with the latest snapshot of Swarm, you can say "-S=seedvalue" to specify a specific seed yourself.

Cheers,
Sven Thommesen