Re: address@hidden

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: address@hidden
Date: 02 Jul 2001 10:25:30 -0600

FW> This project has taken on such a volume that it's not easy to
FW> strip it down to suspicious parts (to turn it into a test case)

Instrument your code in order to bound the problem.  When you reach a
point that you can't get any finer granularity, then start backtracking
until you can form a hypothesis about what is the cause.

Sometimes it isn't efficient to take a large body of code and convert
it into a test case.  Sometimes it is easier just to write a test case
from scratch based on a hypothesis.  (A similar idea to agent-based
modeling.)

FW> Btw what do you mean by 'bogus trace'?

I mean that the memory pattern that is being used to create that trace
is not plausible.  Maybe there was an array overrun or maybe you are
in the wrong thread (you can see what threads are running with "info
threads" and change thread with "thread 1", "thread 2", etc.)

"Illegal Instruction" usually means that a function is being called
an an invalid address.