Re: how to run java Program with swarm?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: how to run java Program with swarm?
Date: 04 Jun 2001 10:33:54 -0600

XX> I put all the dll files into the c:\winnt\system32 dir, and the
XX> former error is gone, but the program start and then end with no
XX> result.  I don't know the reason.  (I tested on the Mousetrap demo
XX> got from www.swarm.org.)

I would suggest you delete those files in C:\winnt\system32, and
instead use the `normal' environment that is created by the
InstallShield package.  Put C:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin in your path.

XX> If one knows both swarm and java well, I think he or she could
XX> group all and only those files needed for java developers into a
XX> neat bundle, and attach a simple instruction to it. And I think
XX> this will not be a difficult task on the basis of
XX> swarm-2.1.exe. Maybe we need only some dll files, which the JVM
XX> needs to invoke some native method from, and a jar file.

This creates pain for support.  If something doesn't work due to naive
usage or because of a bug, it is more difficult to debug in a
stripped-down environment.  When users all install the swarm-2.1.1.exe
package, there's a debugger, and a lot of utilities that they can be
directed to use to investigate problems.

If you don't understand Cygwin (e.g. how to mount a directory), then
you should stick with the InstallShield package.

Anyway, if you'd like to create such a package, the files that are
needed are:

(The DLLs just need to be in the PATH..)

    \Swarm-2.1.1\bin\javaswarm.dll
                     libkaffeswarm.dll (if you are using Kaffe)
                     cygwin1.dll
                     cygtcl80.dll
                     cygtk80.dll
                     BLT24.dll

And these directories, _available as these mounts_.

    /Swarm-2.1.1/share/swarm
                       tcl8.0
                       tk8.0
                       blt2.4