Re: Random number generators. advice?

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Random number generators. advice?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:40:27 -0600

Paul,

you have two paths you can go.

a) As Steve suggests, just create several instances of a single generator. You would need to manage seeds explicitly, since you would need to start each instance with a distinct seed to avoid overlapping (correlated) sequences of output.

Of the generators available, the default MT19937 is the best. It has the longest period by far, and has been extensively tested. But the other ones made visible in Java (C2TAUSx, PSWB) should also be usable. You'll want to avoid PMMLCG1 except for toy purposes, since it has a very short period.

b) There is in the literature some concern that using several instances of the same generator might give you artifacts in your simulation due to the structure of the set of variates generated. This may have been more of a concern in the past, with poor generators and/or short periods. I would not be too worried about this if you use multiple MT19937 generators. But if you are, use different classes of generators.

c) If the fact that few of the generators have been made "visible" from java becomes a pressing issue, we might listen to pleas for exposing more of them.

Sven