Re: Memory Leak??

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Memory Leak??
Date: 04 Jan 2001 22:30:58 -0700

FW> Is someone aware of a (freeware) program to track memory leaks
FW> (which are mainly due to dangling pointers)?

Raw memory leaks are not possible with Java Swarm models as there is
no way to manipulate pointers.  You'll find all Swarm-allocated
objects in Zones, and pure Java objects will be garbage collected.

It is possible to accumulate large numbers of `JavaProxy' objects in
the cross-language directory, and you can see if that is happening
by calling Globals.env.dumpDirectory.  This will only happen if
you are creating and destroying lots of agents and scheduling new,
individual actions on them.

As for SimpleSwarmBug, I don't get a leak with the current Swarm snapshot.