New subject: Not writing silly slow programs.

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: New subject: Not writing silly slow programs.
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:53:00 -0600

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> Profiling the program is a good place to start.
>
> $ jdkswarm -prof FooBar
>
> ..then look at java.prof.
>
> One possible expense is lots of back-and-forth between Objective C and Java...

OK, since I've never written a Java Swarm, but plan to, I want to know
more about what you mean by this, because I'm afraid of writing slow
programs.  What do you mean by "back-and-forth"?  I'm guessing, for
example, that in an agent that is a Java object, I'd better not be
making any unnecessary usage of Swarm objects. I.e, use Java
collections, and whatever else Java, rather than subclassing Swarm Lists
and such.

Right? What else is important?

Ideally, Swarm is supplying the scheduling, but nothing else?

Just a brief list will satisfy me here, I don't have background to
understand a tun of stuff.  But I want to know what to avoid.