Re: createEnd

From: Ralf Stephan
Subject: Re: createEnd
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:17:42 +0200

>...  Computers can be suprisingly non-determinsitic.  ;-)

http://www.netmeg.net/jargon/terms/h/heisenbug.html

          The Jargon Dictionary : Terms : The H Terms : heisenbug

                                   heisenbug

   heisenbug     /hi:'zen-buhg/ n.     [from Heisenberg's Uncertainty
   Principle in quantum physics] A bug that disappears or alters its
   behavior when one attempts to probe or isolate it. (This usage is not
   even particularly fanciful; the use of a debugger sometimes alters a
   program's operating environment significantly enough that buggy code,
   such as that which relies on the values of uninitialized memory,
   behaves quite differently.) Antonym of Bohr bug; see also mandelbug,
   schroedinbug. In C, nine out of ten heisenbugs result from
   uninitialized auto variables, fandango on core phenomena (esp. lossage
   related to corruption of the malloc arena) or errors that smash the
   stack.

They really exist!  Already encountered them twice.
And I guess if Swarm wasn't designed this well we would have them
much more often.

ralf
--
http://ME.IN-berlin.de/~rws/