RE: java method signature for eventOccurredOn

From: Steve Brophy
Subject: RE: java method signature for eventOccurredOn
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 12:08:38 -0400

thanks for the fixes, my code runs now with some mixed results.

A warning message shows up when the sample program runs:

  *** event raised for warning: WarningMessage
  *** function: swarm_directory_java_ensure_selector(), file:
/src/Swarm/swarm/src/defobj/java.m, line: 1653
  Method `eventOccurredOn:via:withProbeType:on:ofType:withData:' type
(@address@hidden:address@hidden@0*0*0c0i0) differs from Swarm method's type
(address@hidden:address@hidden@12*16*20c24^v28)
  *** execution continuing...

the sample runs ok after that, with either kaffe or jdk.

Some other issues may lead me back to an alternative approach.  I wanted to
try setObjectToNotify in order to use less screen real-estate than pairs of
NonInteractive VarProbes and setFunction MessageProbes.  But it looks
simpler to go with the MessageProbes for now:

1. When I moved to my larger program, the kaffe 'javaswarm' worked with
eventOccurredOn but the jdk 'java' gave a SocketException.  Would need more
work to narrow down the problem.

2. Every object in the class gets notified with the 'eventOccurredOn'
message, not just the one with the data change.  That is easy to handle by
adding a "if (this == anObject)" check, but seems more powerful/complex than
what I need.

3. When wanting integer input, the VarProbe is terminating the program on
bad input, while the MessageProbe allows the experimenter to continue
tinkering with the run-in-progress.

4. The MessageProbe makes more obvious what the experimenter can change
during runtime, rather than clicking on each VarProbe data field to see
which are Interactive and which are constant settings for the run.

So if this has turned into a big rework I can wait for some future release.
Thanks for the assistance in trying it out.

Steve