swarm-1.3.1 on hpux 10.20 ok; but problem with adding to INCLUDES

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: swarm-1.3.1 on hpux 10.20 ok; but problem with adding to INCLUDES
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:29:01 -0500 (EST)

After installing tcl/tk 8.0 and blt-2.4f (which went easily)
I was able to make a debug and opt version of swarm-1.3.1 just fine
under hpux 10.20, using gcc 2.7.2.3, ffcall, and the other libs
as noted on the required software page.
(Doing the configure and make as per my earlier message.)

I was able to make and run heatbugs just fine (at least for the
few tens of steps I tried)...I've not tried other apps yet,
nor have I exercised it much...but it seems ok so far.

-----
However...in my own apps I often need to include things from
my own class libraries, which have their own *.h files to import.
So I have in previous swarms, including swarm-1.3, been able to add
the following INCLUDES+= line as shown in the Makefile for the
application:

include $(SWARMHOME)/etc/swarm/Makefile.appl
# this next line MUST be after the include above!
INCLUDES+=-I$(EXPTOOLSPATH)

But when I try to use this same Makefile (point to the proper
new SWARMHOME, of course, I found a problem---namely, the

  INCLUDES+=-I$(EXPTOOLSPATH)

seems to have no effect, since when I make the application, I get:

bash-2.02$ make
gcc -c -Wno-import -O3  -I/s3/users/swarm/swarm-1.3.1/opt/include
-I/s3/users/swarm/UM-HeatbugsPlus-1.3.1 Heatbug.m
Heatbug.m:17: RParameters.h: No such file or directory

Whereas there should be another include in there
(namely the path that EXPTOOLSPATH resolves to, which does exist.)

So...did something change, or did I forget something?
How should I get my  own paths added to the INCLUDE list for the make of an
application?   Similarly, will the
  APPLIBS=-lspace $(EXPTOOLSPATH)/libUM-ExpTools-4.a
still work in swarm-1.3.1?

Thanks!
  - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html