Re: BLT Dots -- symbolic links at alternate locations

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: BLT Dots -- symbolic links at alternate locations
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 07:44:44 -0500 (EST)

Just a suggestion:
Rather than copying libs (or other things) around
as you say you did, you might use symbolic links.
That way you have just one copy of the lib, in its "standard" location,
but you can have something like /usr/lib/libBLT.a in effect
point to that standard location.   In a case like you just
had, you would not have the problem of forgetting to copy it--once
you replace the copy in the standard location, the other reference
from /lib/usr will just point to that new version.

Its easy to do, just
   man ln
to learn how.  (I'd give an example but the syntax varies from unix to
unix, amazingly enough.)

Note: you (almost) always want to use *symbolic* links.
There are probably some other caveats (caveata?) that
I can't recall right now...perhaps someone else will chime in.

 - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4068 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 313 763 3323                  Fax: 313 763 9267
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu//pscs.html