objective-c question: get selector by ascii name

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: objective-c question: get selector by ascii name
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:34:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I would like to get a SELector by ascii name,
and I thought (on reading the Obj-C book from NextStep,
Chapter 2, "Selectors", page 65) that I could do:

    SEL mySetXXX = sel_getUid("setXXX");

(That's the cap/spelling I see in my copy of the book.)
But when I compile this, it warns me that it doesn't
have a prototype for sel_getUid() and when it links
it can't find it.

Is that not available in gcc, or is there some other name
for it?  Or do I need to link in some special lib?

thanks for the info?

 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html