Please do not start a flame war here

From: Oliver Kirchkamp
Subject: Please do not start a flame war here
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:33:04 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi all,

we have a problem that is very common on the internet.

A group of outsiders to a list tries to enter it, makes a mistake, and,
instead of entering it, sends annoying messages to those which are already
members.

Now some of you, the members, start sendings complaints to each other.
You should better stop (duck) - you do not reach the outsiders this way,
you only create more noise on the list that is already suffering a lot.

What you could do is (a) unsubscribe from the list (send the
unsubscription to the LISTSERV, not to SIMSOC), or (b) ask the list
administrator there to prevent outsiders from writing to the list (which
currently seems to be allowed, thus, all members get the silly
subscription requests) or (c) write to those outsiders who attempt to
subscribe.

An odd thing still seems to be that some of us (including me) *never*
subscribed to this list.

So perhaps, if we all keep quiet for a little while, this might improve
the signal/noise ratio here.

Hope this helps,
Best Regards,
Oliver

=======
http://www.econ3.uni-bonn.de/~oliver
European University Institute, Economics department
Postal: C.P.No 2330, I-50100 FIRENZE Ferrovia
Real: Via dei Roccettini, 9, I-50016 SAN DOMENICO DI FIESOLE
Phone: +39-55-4685-389 Fax: +39-55-4685-202